The student news site of The Covenant School in Charlotteville, Virginia

The Swoop

Eagles > NSA

Declan Kent, Staff Writer

Going into the game vs Nansemond Suffolk Academy, knowing they had previously lost to them earlier in the season, the Eagles were insanely excited to beat NSA and keep their season alive. The Eagles had played against NSA at the beginning of the season and had simply played a very sloppy game. With a final score of 7-6, it was a very tough loss for the Eagles and fueled the team for the next few games of the season. This time, the Eagles wanted revenge.

With Will Moore on the mound, the Eagles felt confident that they could get the W this time. Coach Burton had hoped Will would be able to pitch until at least the 5th inning if not farther. When Coach realized that Will needed to be taken out, he gave the ball to Luke Burton to finish the game. This ended up being the best choice of the whole game. Luke came out with a vengeance, giving up only one hit and no walks for a total of four innings.

In the third inning with Covenant down 2-0, Declan Kent hit a leadoff single to left field.

Wesley Arrington then bunted him over to second base. The Eagles were now in a good spot with a runner in scoring position, the top of the lineup up, and only one out. Luke Burton hit a clutch single to center field, allowing Declan to score Covenant’s first run of the game.

By the 6th inning, the Eagles were still down 2-1 and needed to make something happen ASAP. Jake Haney had a leadoff single before NSA’s pitcher went on to walk Will and Tyler. With Trent Miller up to bat, Coach Box called for a suicide squeeze. Trent did not get the bunt down so Jake was caught dead in the baseline. He stayed in the run down for as long as he could before being tagged out. This allowed for Will to run all the way to third base. The catcher tried to throw Will out at third but instead overthrew the third basemen sending the ball out into left field. The Eagles capitalized on this scoring two runs to take the lead over NSA. Luke Burton then held the Saints in the top of the 7th, sending the Eagles to the semi-finals.

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

8th Grade Dinner Dance

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

Officer Fired for Not Shooting

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

White Nationalist Rally in Lee Park

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

7th and 8th Grade Trips to Baltimore and DC

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

French Election

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

The Case for Christ

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

Class of 2017 Pins the Map

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

JV Girls’ Soccer: A Middle School Family

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

Freshmen Take on the Big Apple

• Eagles > NSA

Showcase

Prom 2017

Eagles > NSA