The student news site of The Covenant School in Charlotteville, Virginia

The Swoop

Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Aaron Leathers, Staff Writer

Hunting—a very controversial topic, but rarely discussed. Is hunting for fun a sufficient  reason to allow people to hunt? First, hunting was created as a way to obtain food. Where I think it is wrong is when you hunt solely for enjoyment and for no reward such as food or money. It is almost inhumane to kill for pleasure and not get something out of it like food.

Animals such as deer or ducks endure a lot of pain and suffering that we are oblivious to. A study of 80 radio-collared white-tailed deer found that out of the 22 deer shot by standard archery equipment, 11 were wounded but not recovered by the hunter. Only 14 percent of animals shot with a gun are left for dead. Still, that is 14 percent too much, and that should not be occurring, ever, unless the animal has run off. On average, the deer suffers for 15 minutes after being shot before dying.

In the eyes of some, hunting has been more of a fun thing to do when you’re bored and a way to release anger than a way of life and a way to obtain food. I have no problem with hunting, but when it gets to the point of people hunting the wrong way, it just shouldn’t be tolerated. Unless you’re getting something out of hunting besides to solely kill, then leave the environment as it is. This is why you seldom see a buck out in the open.

Small game hunting contains the killing of squirrels or racoons for example. Animals such as these provide little substance, and there is little to no reason for them to be killed. You receive no money, no food; it is simply for the pleasure of shooting a harmless animal.

Also every animal contributes to the environment and makes it run smoothly in some shape or form. With the unnecessary killing, the populations of animals begin to die off for no good reason. Disease has already killed tens of thousands of deer. There are many things that contribute to the decline of the deer population. Unpurposeful killing does not need to be added onto that list. Animals don’t just come back to life like plants do.

Again, hunting is not wrong but can be made controversial if you do it the wrong way. Everything must be done the right way and with a purpose.

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

8th Grade Dinner Dance

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

Officer Fired for Not Shooting

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

White Nationalist Rally in Lee Park

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

7th and 8th Grade Trips to Baltimore and DC

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

French Election

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

The Case for Christ

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

Class of 2017 Pins the Map

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

JV Girls’ Soccer: A Middle School Family

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

Freshmen Take on the Big Apple

• Hunting – Fun or Unethical?

Showcase

Prom 2017

Hunting – Fun or Unethical?