The student news site of The Covenant School in Charlotteville, Virginia

The Swoop

Eagles > Tigers

Declan Kent, Staff Writer

The Covenant Eagles, now 19-5, won a hard-fought baseball game vs Woodberry Forest. Declan Kent started on the mound. He let up two runs in four innings. When he came out of the game, the score was 3-2, Eagles ahead. Tyler Mahone then came into the game in the fifth inning to finish the game. He did not let up a single run and held the Tigers to two runs.

Jake Haney led the team offensively going two for three with a walk. Tyler Mahone went one for three while Blake Schaar had two hits and a walk. Sophomore Mason Mitchell, who was two for three in the Woodberry game, has been a huge contributor to the Eagles offense this season. Considering only four people on the team contributing with hits, it’s not a surprise that Covenant was limited to only four runs.

Lately the Eagles have been slacking offensively so it has been up to the Covenant pitchers to limit the opponents’ runs, that way not as many runs are needed to win games. Star pitchers seniors Will Moore and Jake Haney have done an excellent job this season at keeping the team engaged by shutting down the other team’s offense. It really gets the team pumped and ready to perform the next inning.

The Eagles’ poor offensive performance could be explained by the fact that, the better the pitching is, the better the Covenant hitters tend to do. As a very competitive team, the extremely talented hitters are partial towards faster pitching, which HS baseball can not always produce.

As usual, Tyler Mahone’s goal for the game was stop “drop bombs,” while Junior Aaron Leathers focuses on getting more hits. “Hitting has been frustrating at this point. I’m not producing how i want to but it will turn around soon,” Aaron stated. Both Aaron and Tyler were relaxed and confident heading into the Woodberry game knowing that they had already beaten them earlier in the season.

When asked about the Eagles’ offense Aaron said, “Offensively, honestly we have been consistently inconsistent. At times we only have two or three people getting hits so we are forced to bunt, which is a lot harder to produce runs.” He was then questioned about the team’s pitching and replied, “Pitching has been huge. All pitchers have stepped up and kept the team ERA low. All the guys have been throwing strikes no matter who it is against and they take care of business.” Aaron Leathers believes that the key to this year’s success is, “We need more unity within the team, because there is a sense of separation and awkwardness between the different age groups.”

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

8th Grade Dinner Dance

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

Officer Fired for Not Shooting

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

White Nationalist Rally in Lee Park

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

7th and 8th Grade Trips to Baltimore and DC

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

French Election

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

The Case for Christ

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

Class of 2017 Pins the Map

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

JV Girls’ Soccer: A Middle School Family

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

Freshmen Take on the Big Apple

• Eagles > Tigers

Showcase

Prom 2017

Eagles > Tigers