The student news site of The Covenant School in Charlotteville, Virginia

The Swoop

Athletes Overpaid

Aaron Leathers, Staff Writer

Across all the main sports, the average salary is 2.5 million dollars per year. Making the average career earnings 12.6 million. This surpluses the income for the average American, sitting at 51,000 per year.

Why do athletes get paid so much is a question a lot of people ask. Often times the answer is hard work or skill. Therefore from those statements you can infer that doctors do not need skill or hard work to do their intimidating and demanding job. I would agree it takes years and years of hard work and consistency to perform at the level that they do. Does it not take years and years of hard work to be a teacher at the highest level or a doctor who daily saves lives? So why then is the salary gap so large? The people who educate the kids of the future receive 45,000 dollars per year. As well as the average doctor receiving 150,000 a year.

Also a discussion that draws up from this topic is that the money used spending on these athletes could be used for better things such as clean water or just simply helping out the less fortunate. Statistics show that the money given to professional football players take advantage of the money given to them, 70% of the time. 80% of NFL players file for bankruptcy after retirement, and 60% of NBA players file for bankruptcy after retirement. There are much better ways this money could go to use. NFL QB Drew Brees said, “Unless you’re finding a cure for cancer or creating world peace, I don’t know if anybody deserves to get that much money.”

It is ridiculous when athletes receive 19 million a year and are still considered underpaid, like Lebron James. There are people who live on the streets with only the money they collect from those willing to give the slightest of change.

Our culture has valued entertainment over the sacrifice, for example, that a soldier makes to protect our country. This could also be a reason why they are paid so highly. The world is demanding entertainment, so that is what they are getting. Therefore, the athletes are rewarded for entertaining. The top 40 athletes in 1995 earned 490 million, while the top 40 athletes today earn 1.3 billion. Earning for athletes have increased 7.1%, whereas the earning for the average U.S. worker has only increased by 3.7%.

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

8th Grade Dinner Dance

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

Officer Fired for Not Shooting

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

White Nationalist Rally in Lee Park

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

7th and 8th Grade Trips to Baltimore and DC

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

French Election

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

The Case for Christ

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

Class of 2017 Pins the Map

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

JV Girls’ Soccer: A Middle School Family

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

Freshmen Take on the Big Apple

• Athletes Overpaid

Showcase

Prom 2017

Athletes Overpaid