The student news site of The Covenant School in Charlotteville, Virginia

The Swoop

Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Caroline Morales, Editor

On February 28, 1909, the first official National Women’s Day was observed in New York City. The year before, a group of 15,000 women had marched to demanded voting rights, shorter hours, and appropriate wages. At a 1910 convention in Copenhagen, it became an International affair, and since then has been celebrated regularly. This event is not, as some might believe, a reaction to the Trump presidency. It has been a day dedicated to celebrating women and advocacy of further rights for over a century.

Historically, events on International Women’s day have led to changes in government and policy. In 1917, a four-day strike by Russian women (beginning on the last Sunday of February by the Julian calendar) led to the abdication of Czar Nicholas and Russian women’s suffrage. According to the Gregorian calendar, this occurred on March 8, which is now widely observed as International Women’s Day.

The United Nations began celebrating International Women’s day in 1975. In 2011, one hundred years later, President Obama declared the month of March to be Women’s History Month, with the goal being to focus on the achievements of women throughout history and advocate for socioeconomic and political gender equality. Some countries, including Afghanistan, Cuba, and China, consider International Women’s Day an official holiday.

International Women’s Day is not to be confused with A Day Without Women. This year, the organizers of the Women’s March on Washington in January to protest President Trump have also organized a “Day Without Women.” Their website states that, “In the same spirit of love and liberation that inspired the Women’s March, we join together in making March 8th A Day Without a Woman, recognizing the enormous value that women of all backgrounds add to our socio-economic system–while receiving lower wages and experiencing greater inequities, vulnerability to discrimination, sexual harassment, and job insecurity.” They encourage women to wear red in support of the movement, abstain from paid and unpaid labor, avoid shopping anywhere except for small, women-owned businesses, and donate to organizations that support women. The goal is to raise awareness in the country for the struggles that women face today.

Anybody should be willing to stand up for women’s rights. However, this strike ignores one important factor: privilege. Not everybody has the ability to stay home from work for a day. Not many people can skip work without consequence. Some women need the money to survive, and others may lose their jobs by not showing up. Other women, such as teachers, doctors, and nurses, use their talents and professions to serve and educate others, saving lives and making it arguably unethical not to show up for work.

That is not to say that everything about A Day Without Women is privileged and not worth supporting. Women who have the financial stability and ability to take a day off without repercussions may certainly do so-but they should be aware of the privilege they utilize when they do so. And by all means, wear red to support the movement and support small women-owned business. Actually, support those businesses every day. Don’t limit your protest for women’s rights to one day. Remember this year’s motto for International Women’s Day, and be bold for change every day, not just March 8.

Sources

https://www.internationalwomensday.com

https://www.womensmarch.com/womensday/

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

8th Grade Dinner Dance

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

Officer Fired for Not Shooting

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

White Nationalist Rally in Lee Park

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

7th and 8th Grade Trips to Baltimore and DC

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

French Election

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

The Case for Christ

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

Class of 2017 Pins the Map

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

JV Girls’ Soccer: A Middle School Family

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

Freshmen Take on the Big Apple

• Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017

Showcase

Prom 2017

Be Bold for Change: Women’s Day 2017